There is always a high risk of losing our phones. When we are in an absent state of mind or a hurry lies the increased possibility of losing our phones. Some people lose their phone multiple times daily and get lucky to find it back. But, sometimes, you might lose your phone in a very unexpected scenario.
For instance, your phone falls out of your pocket or bag while travelling or walking. Someone might even steal your phone, or you might lose it by leaving it behind in a restaurant, or your phone might accidentally slip off your hands and out of the car window. Apart from losing your phone, the most dreaded scenario is losing it while its power is turned off. In a situation like this, we often panic and fear that we might never get back our phones.
But, nowadays, with the advancement of technology, there are various ways of tracking down your phone, even when it is turned off. It is essential to do a few things beforehand for security if you lose your phone. It will help track down the phone even if it’s powered off.
In the following, we have listed some of the effective to-dos and how to locate a lost cell phone that is turned off.
List of Essential To-Dos In Case You Lose Phone
In the first few moments when you have lost your phone, it is essential to be mindful and perform the following steps. These are the most effective initial ways to help you how to locate a lost cell phone that is turned off.
- Look for a phone and try calling yours as there might be a possibility of you hearing your phone ringing. In such a scenario, you will have to retrace your steps.
- In case you cannot hear your phone ringing, which is the most common of circumstances, it is safe to assume that your phone’s location is way further or out of your radius.
- If you cannot hear your phone, it is essential to quickly take a phone or resort to a computer to lock your phone. To protect the security of your personal information, you, too, will have to change the passwords and login ids and put the phone on lost mode.
These steps are the quick essentials you must perform in the initial few moments of losing your phone.
Read More: Power Bi Reports vs Dashboards – Which is Best
Does the IMEI Number help to locate a phone?
IMEI or International Mobile Station Equipment Identity is a 15-digit number, your phone’s identity code. Knowing your phone’s IMEI code while you still have it with you is essential. It is a very effective way to help you how to locate a lost cell phone that is turned off. Knowing the IMEI code will help you find when, as you can submit the 15-digit number to the service provider or the police to track down your phone. You can generally find the IMEI code in the invoice during the purchase, but usually, different devices have different locations to store the IMEI code.
Steps to find the IMEI code for iPhone
- Go to the settings app
- Click on General and About
- Then, by scrolling down, you will find the IMEI code of your iPhone
Hence, finding this code might be one of the effective ways to help you how to locate a lost cell phone that is turned off.
Steps to find the IMEI code for an Android phone
- Some Androids feature the IMEI code on the back cover.
- If it does not have the IMEI code on the back cover, go to Settings. Click on About Device. Further scrolling down, you will find the IMEI code of your Android device.
- Otherwise, if all these methods do not work, then you will find the IMEI code of your Android phone in its protective covering.
These are some of the various places where you might find the IMEI code of your Android phone. Following these are essential to help you how to locate a lost cell phone that is turned off.
How To Locate A Lost Cell Phone That Is Turned Off?
Trying to locate a lost phone which is switched off might be challenging. It might lead to various dead ends, and you might not locate your phone. But, with the surge of technology and the addition of highly functional features on our phones, finding a phone that is turned off is now easy. There are various ways of finding a phone that is switched off, most of which involve your device’s settings. You will have to ensure beforehand to perform the steps mentioned below so that you can find your phone if it gets lost.
Let us discuss the steps on how to locate a lost cell phone that is turned off for both Android and iPhones.
Ways On How To Locate A Lost Cell Phone That Is Turned Off For iPhones
- To ensure you can find your iPhone if it gets lost, open the Find My app on another iOS device or head to the Find section of the iCloud website.
- Now, go to the Devices section and select your iPhone from the options.
- It will help locate your iPhone. But if your iPhone is not in your close radius, then go to the iCloud website or Find My app and choose the available options such as play a sound, erase the phone and enable Lost mode.
Read More: iPhone or iPad: Video Has No Sound
Ways On How To Locate A Lost Cell Phone That Is Turned Off For Android
- Use the Find section of the Android website. Or you can download the Find My Device app on other Android devices.
- Sign in with your in-use Gmail address on your device to the app or site.
- Now, you will have to select your phone from the list of devices where you can see its location. Other available features include playing a sound, securing your device and erasing your device.
Thus, these are some of the effective ways to help you how to locate a lost cell phone that is turned off. Following the ways mentioned above will help you find your phone quickly, even if your phone gets lost or stolen while in a switched-off mode.